SRH Marine Electronics SA Feedback 3 / SPERRY MARINE ECDIS
New ECDIS standards
Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine works with the IHO, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and other bodies to ensure navigational safety for the maritime industry. We are now updating some of our products, following the International Hydrographic Organization’s (IHO) revision of some of its ECDIS-related standards in the IHO Presentation Library.
New versions of IHO standards
In June 2015 the IHO circulated a press release publicising the new editions of S-52, S-63 and S-64 and the IHO Presentation Library. These revised IHO standards reflect lessons learned from the past and result in improvements to both the display and the functionality of Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) in ECDIS. Updating VisionMaster FT ECDIS to these latest standards will provide the following key benefits:
- a new and improved ENC status report, to make it even easier to confirm that ENCs are up-to-date
- a reduction in the number of high priority alerts, to ease alarm fatigue and maintain safety
- the addition of names of fairways and anchorage areas on ENC displays
- new graphics to make it easier to identify charted features that result in warning and cautions
- new graphics to make it easier to identify automatic ENC updates
- easy identification of date-dependent objects (e.g. seasonal racing buoys) allowing mariners to tailor route planning and monitoring to the date of the voyage
- simplified ’viewing group’ filters, giving navigators full and easy control of charted object display
- improved standardisation of graphics and naming
Further details of all improvements and requirements may be seen in the appropriate editions in the IHO Presentation Library and in the IHO’s Press Release of June 2015.
Ensuring compliance by August 2016
IMO’s circular ’ECDIS – Guidance for Good Practice‘ (MSC.1/Circ.1503) highlights the importance of ECDIS software maintenance and states that “ECDIS that is not updated to the latest version of the IHO standards may not meet the chart carriage requirements”. The previous editions of S-52, S-63 and S-64 remain in force until 31st August 2016 and Sperry Marine recommends that vessels plan software maintenance to update their ECDIS to the latest IHO standards in advance of that date.
Sperry Marine will release compliant upgrade paths in good time to ensure its customers can guarantee their ECDIS systems remain fully compliant. In order to assist with ECDIS software maintenance Sperry Marine publishes compliance information for VisionMaster ECDIS on its website (www.sperrymarine.com). Additionally, the IHO publish a list of the latest IHO standards on their website (www.iho.int).
SRH MARINE ELECTRONICS SA for more details and further actions to be taken.